Urology Clinics of North Texas utilizes many types surgical first assistants. Each first assistant has been vetted for clinical expertise, safety, and educational background. Some of these assistants are independent practitioners, employees of surgical assisting groups or employees of UCNT. Your specific surgical assistant will be determined by the following factors:
- Surgeon preference
- Assistant availability on preferred surgery date
- Hospital location and facility assistant credentialing
Independent and surgical group first assistants have their own billing practices. The majority of surgical first assistants are out of network with insurance plans for a variety of reasons. Historically, insurance plans do not negotiate fair market reimbursable rates requiring first assistants to remain out of network. These first assistants are required by UCNT to work within the following requirements:
- Provide the patient with advanced notice or letter (for non-emergent cases) of their insurance network status or if they are a cash pay provider only
- What the out of pocket cost will be for your procedure and offer payment plan options if needed
- Follow state and federal regulatory requirements regarding billing practices and balance billing laws.
- Comply with the Federal No Surprise Act (link to bill)
Please visit https://urologyclinics.com/no-surprise-act/ for more information about your rights regarding “surprise billing”.