Pat Fox Fulgham, M.D., D.A.B.U., F.A.C.S.
Diplomate, American Board of Urology
Fellow, American College of Surgeons
Learn more about Dr. Pat Fulgham, click here to visit his personal website.
Recognized among D Magazine's Best Doctors in 2018
Urology Specialists and Associates
8230 Walnut Hill Lane, Suite 700
Professional Building 3
Dallas, Texas 75231
Quick bio links: Media | Awards | Education | Board-certification | Professional Positions | Hononary Memberships | Teaching Experience | Professional Societies | Publications | Completed Research | Journal Reviewer
Dr. Pat Fulgham discusses importance of Prostate Cancer Screening
Dr. Pat Fulgham interviewed for recent article entitled: “NFL Alumni join fight against prostate cancer with awareness ads”
Read an excerpt here, to view the complete article please click here.
“Dr. Pat F. Fulgham, director of surgical oncology services at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas, is very familiar with the fight against prostate cancer. Some of his patients are current or former NFL players, including several who have been active in the NFL Alumni Association. He also has a medical office in Dallas as part of the Urology Clinics of North Texas, which has locations spread across the Metroplex, including Fort Worth.”
Honors and Awards
1998‐2016 D‐Magazine, Best Doctors in Dallas
2004‐2016 Texas Monthly, Super Doctors in Texas
2008 Distinguished Service Award, American Urological Association
2008 Health Care Hero Award, Dallas Business Journal
2006 Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas, Leadership in Cancer Award
2004 Silver Award for Best On Line Health Information 2004, editorial contribution to the American Urological Association for Urologyhealth.org
2004 Katy Award 2004 for excellence in broadcasting and electronic media, public service announcement on prostate cancer prevention
1994 A.F.U.D./AUA/Searle Office Based Research Award. Project: A relational database addressing the clinical and economic consequences of strategies for the early detection of prostate cancer.
1983 American Urologic Association, South Central Section, Essay Contest, First prize, Clinical Research
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
Dallas, Texas 1981
- Urology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
Dallas, Texas 1983 - 1987
Hospitals (Parkland Memorial Hospital, Dallas; V.A. Hospital; Children's
Medical Center; Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, Texas)
- Surgical Resident, Parkland Memorial Hospital
Dallas, Texas 7/82-6/83
- Surgical Intern, Parkland Memorial Hospital
Dallas, Texas 7/81-6/82
- Surgical Resident, Parkland Memorial Hospital
- Texas A & M University, B.S. Zoology (Summa Cum Laude)
College Station, Texas 1978
- Texas, 1981
- American Board of Urology, recertification 2006
- 2007 AUA Oncology Knowledge Assessment Test in Urology
- 2009‐Present Chairman, Department of Urology, Texas Health Presbyterian Dallas
- 2001‐Present President and Chairman of the Board of Urology Research & Education Foundation 501(c)3
- 1997‐Present Surgical Director of Oncology, Texas Health Presbyterian Dallas
- 2014‐2017 AUA Science and Quality Council
- 2011‐Present American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine Clinical Standards Committee
- 1992‐Present Medical Board, Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas
- 2011‐Present Clinical Standards Committee, American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
- 2005‐Present AUA Abstract Review Committee for annual AUA meeting
- 2005‐Present AUA Office of Education Strategic Planning Committee
- 1994‐Present Chairman, Cancer Committee, Texas Health Resources Presbyterian Dallas
- 2009‐Present American College of Radiology Appropriateness Criteria Panel for Urology
- 1994 A.F.U.D./AUA/Searle Office Based Research Award. Project: A relational database addressing the clinical and economic consequences of strategies for the early detection of prostate cancer.
- 1983 American Urologic Association, South Central Section, Essay Contest, First prize, Clinical Research
- 1980 Eaton Fellowship in Urology
- 1978-1979 Texas Merit Scholarship, Southwestern Medical School
- 1978 Leland Fikes Scholarship, Southwestern Medical School
- 1974-1977 James W. Aston Presidents Endowed Scholar, Texas A & M University
- 1974 National Merit finalist
- 1998-2007 D-Magazine, Best Doctors in Dallas
- 2004-2007 Texas Monthly, Best Doctors in Texas
- 2004 Silver Award for Best On Line Health Information 2004, editorial contribution to the American Urological Association for Urologyhealth.org
- 2004 Katy Award 2004 for excellence in broadcasting and electronic media, public service
announcement on prostate cancer prevention
- 2006 Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas, Leadership in Cancer Award
- 2008 Distinguished Service Award, American Urological Association
- 2008 Health Care Hero Award, Dallas Business Journal
Course Director, AUA Hands‐On Ultrasonography for Urologists. American Urological Association
Office of Education. 2001‐2016
Course Director: Advanced Urologic Ultrasound with Hands‐On Lab. AUA Annual Meeting 2011‐ 2014
AUA Annual Meeting Plenary Sessions:
2016 Point Counterpoint: Testis Cancer Surveillance: Low‐Dose CT is Better Than MRI
2014 Standardized Nomenclature for Imaging in Urology: A Joint Project of the European Association of Urology Guideline Office and the American Urological Association Urologic Diagnostic and Therapeutic Imaging Committee
2012 Use of Imaging in the Management of Ureteral Calculus Disease.
2010 Is there Overutilization of Imaging in Urology?
2007 Threats to Imaging in Urology.
Pelvic Ultrasound Course: AUA Annual Meeting, 2012‐2013, 2016
Cancer Symposium, Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas, June 2016. The Quantum Theory of Prostate Cancer Screening.
Urology Research & Education Foundation annual lecture, October 2009‐2015
- The Society of Urologic Oncology
- American Urological Association
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
- European Association of Urology
- Fulgham, Pat and Resnick, Martin. Guidelines for Ultrasound Utilization. American Urological Association. October 2001. Found on the World Wide Web at https://auanet.org/aboutaua/policy_statements/education.cfm#recommendations
- Fulgham, Pat and Resnick, Martin. Recommendations for Urologic Office Ultrasound. American Urological
Association. October 2001. Found on the World Wide Web at
- Active surveillance redefines paradigm for prostate cancer management. HemOnc Today, September 25, 2015. Point/Counterpoint. https://goo.gl/6Qz9ts
- Editorial Comment: J Endourol. 2015 Mar;29(3):350. doi: 10.1089/end.2014.0825. Huang et al.
- Eur Urol. 2015 May;67(5):965‐71. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2014.08.014. Epub 2014 Aug 27. EAU standardised medical terminology for urologic imaging: a taxonomic approach.
- Book Chapter: Campbell Walsh Urology, Urinary Tract Imaging: Basic Principles and Safety, 2015
- Editorial: Journal of Endourology. Treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia using transurethral split of the prostate surgery with a columnar balloon catheter. 2014
- Book Chapter: Pelvic Floor Ultrasound. Springer. Physics of ultrasound. Springer. 2015
- Book: Practical Urologic Ultrasound, Co‐Editors Pat Fulgham MD, Bruce Gilbert MD. Publisher: Springer. May 2013. Author: Ch. 2 Physical Principles of Ultrasound, Ch. 3 Bioeffects and Safety. Ch. 4 Maximizing Image Quality: User‐Dependent Variables. Co‐ Author Ch. 5 Renal Ultrasound. Ch. 8 Transabdominal Pelvic Ultrasound.
- Book Chapter: Prostate Ultrasound: Current Practice and Future Directions. Chapter contributor: Prostate Artifacts. Publisher: Springer. Due 2014
- Book Chapter: Ultrasound of Male Genitalia. Chapter co‐author: Physics of Ultrasound. Publisher: Springer. Due 2014.
- Loch T, Carey B, Walz J, Fulgham PF and the European Association of Urology Guidelines Office Ad Hoc Working Group on Urological Imaging. (2014) EAU Standardised Medical Terminology for Urologic Imaging: A Taxonomic Approach. European Urology. 2014.
- Fulgham PF, Assimos DG, Pearle MS, Preminger GM. Clinical Effectiveness Protocols for Imaging in the Management of Ureteral Calculous Disease: AUA Technology Assessment. Journal of Urology, accepted for publication April 2013
- ACR Appropriateness Criteria® acute onset flank pain‐‐suspicion of stone disease. Coursey CA, Casalino DD, Remer EM, Arellano RS, Bishoff JT, Dighe M, Fulgham P, Goldfarb S, Israel GM, Lazarus E, Leyendecker JR, Majd M, Nikolaidis P, Papanicolaou N, Prasad S, Ramchandani P, Sheth S, Vikram R. Ultrasound Q. 2012 Sep;28(3):227‐33.
- ACR Appropriateness Criteria ® acute onset of scrotal pain‐‐without trauma, without antecedent mass. Remer EM, Casalino DD, Arellano RS, Bishoff JT, Coursey CA, Dighe M, Fulgham P, Israel GM, Lazarus E, Leyendecker JR, Majd M, Nikolaidis P, Papanicolaou N, Prasad S, Ramchandani P, Sheth S, Vikram R, Karmazyn B. Ultrasound Q. 2012 Mar;28(1):47‐51.
- ACR Appropriateness Criteria® posttreatment follow‐up of prostate cancer. Casalino DD, Remer EM, Arellano RS, Bishoff JT, Coursey CA, Dighe M, Eggli DF, Fulgham P, Israel GM, Lazarus E, Leyendecker JR, Nikolaidis P, Papanicolaou N, Prasad S, Ramchandani P, Sheth S, Vikram R. J Am Coll Radiol. 2011 Dec;8(12):863‐71.
- Fulgham PF. Ultrasound‐Guided Transrectal Prostate Biopsy. Urol List 2011;9(2):18‐23. Contributing author to Campbell Walsh Urology, 10e: Chapter 4: Urinary Tract Imaging: Basic Principles and Safety, 2011.
- Letter to the Editor, Re: Imaging Use Among Employed and Self‐Employed Urologists. Journal of Urology, May 2011.
- AUA Core Curriculum for Urology Residents. Uroradiology Section. Completed 2010 Cho JS, Fulgham PF, Clark AR, Kavoussi LR. Followup Imaging After Urological Imaging Studies: Comparison of Radiologist Recommendation and Urologist Practice. Journal of Urology, Vol. 184, Issue 1, Pages 254‐257, July 2010.
- Dighe M, Francis IR, Casalino DD, Arellano RS, Baumgarten DA, Curry NS, ..Sheth S. ACR Appropriatness Criteria on Obstructive Voiding Symptoms Secondary to Prostate Disease. Journal of the American College of Radiology, 2009, 7(4), 255‐259.
- AW Tong, P Fulgham, C Jay, P Chen, I Khalil, S Liu, N Senzer, AC Eklund, J Han and J Nemunaitis. MicroRNA profile analysis of human prostate cancers. Cancer Gene Therapy (2008), 1-11.
- Guest Editor, Urology Clinics of North America, Urologic Imaging. Elsevier. August 2006.
- Fulgham, Pat F and Jensen, Pam. Sonographic Appearance of isolated necrotizing vasculitis of the testis. Journal of Clinical Ultrasound, Volume 34, Number 2, February 2006, 99-107.
- Guest Editorial, “The Continuing Search for Meaningful Prognostic Information from Prostate Biopsy.” The Journal of Urology, January 2006
- Fulgham, Pat F. Commentary on “Can Ultrasound Measurement of Residual Bladder Volume be Improved with a Novel, Personalized Algorithm?” Nature Clinical Practice Urology (2005) 2, 130-131
- Fulgham, Pat F.; Cochran, James S.; Denman, John L.; Feagins, Brian L.; Gross, Michael B.; Kadesky, Keith T.; Kadesky, Melvin C.; Clark, Angela R.; and Roehrborn, Claus G.: Disappointing Initial Results with Transurethral Alprostadil for Erectile Dysfunction in a Urology Practice Setting. The Journal of Urology, Vol. 160:2041-2046, December 1998.
- Shen Yunhe, Fulgham Pat, Zhou Xiangmin, Burke Daniel, Sweet Robert. The Wii Transrectal Ultrasonography Simulator. Department of Urologic Surgery, University of Minnesota Medical School. AUA Annual Meeting, San Francisco, May 2010
- Cho JS, Fulgham PF, Clark AR, Kavoussi LR. Radiographic studies: Comparison of radiologists’ Pat Fox Fulgham, MD Rev. 11/16/15 Page 10 of 13 recommendation and urologists’ practice. Journal of Urology. April 2009
- Pat Fulgham, Chris Jay, Patrick Chen, Jian Han, Alex W Tong, Neil Senzer and John Nemunaitis. Presbysterian Medical Center, Dallas, TX; Mary Crowley Medical Research Center, Dallas, TX; Murex Pharmaceuticals, Dallas TX; Baylor Sammons Cancer Center, Dallas, TX; Baylor University, Waco TX; and Genaco Biomedical Products, Huntsville, AL. Differential miRNA expression profiles in low-risk prostate cancer following radical prostatectomy. 14th International Conference on Gene Therapy. Sept. 2006
- Fulgham, Pat F, Clark, Angela R. The outcome of subsequent biopsy in patients with prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (PIN). Poster Presentation at the AUA meeting in Atlanta, Georgia, May 2000. Abstract sequence #: 1237.
- Fulgham, Pat F. Increased incidence of prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia on prostate biopsy and the likelihood of the subsequent diagnosis of prostate cancer. Presented at the AUA South Central Section meeting, Santa Fe, NM, September 1999.
- Fulgham, Pat F, Cochran, James S., Denman, John, L., Feagins, Brian A., Gross, Michael B., Kadesky, Keith T., Kadesky, Melvin C., Clark, Angela, Roehrborn, Claus G. (Presented by Dr. Fulgham,) Disappointing Results with Transurethral Alprostadil in Men with Erectile Dysfunction (ED) in Urology. Presented at the AUA meeting, San Diego, June 1998.
- Prostate Cancer Prevention: (HGPIN study) SWOG 9917: L-Selenium-Based Chemoprevention of Prostate Cancer Among Men with High Grade Prostatic Intraepithelial Neoplasia Urology-Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy
- An Eleven-Week, Open-Label, Randomized, Multicenter, Parallel-Design, Placebo Lead-In Study of XXXX Capsules, 0.4 mg Daily vs. XXXXX Capsules, 5 mg (with XXXXX) Daily in Patients with the Signs and Symptoms of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. Role: Sub-investigator. Institution: Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas.
- British Journal of Urology
- Journal of Urology
- Journal of Endourology
- Kidney International
- Nature Clinical Practice Urology
- Urologic Oncology: Seminars and Original Investigations.